Sample Photos

SAMPLE PHOTOS
DSC03119 DSC03119 DSC03015 DSC02868 DSC09796+Sedit0002 DSC00402+edit DSC09121 Jinie edit DSC04921

Thursday 21 July 2011

5Dii or 7D


Its slowly coming up to new camera time... Yes for the guys that are sick of hearing about it you might wanna skip this one, But for the rest you might enjoy my rant!

Ok now that I have kill off half my readers............................

Since Jan this year I have been saving my little pennys to get a new camera. It has always been between 2 cameras, The Canon 7d and the Canon 5d mark2. Both cameras are great shooters and are in the "top end" semi-pro range.


While the Canon 5d mark2 has a full frame CMOS sensor allowing it to have higher ISO and less noise than the Canon 7d's APS-C CMOS sensor, The 7d has faster FPS (Frames per second) quicker AF{auto focus} (using its 19 cross type AF points) and something that I really like and will use alot is its Integrated Speedlite Transmitter.


You do have the crop factor to think about when getting an APS-C camera. in Canons case is a x1.6 (ie. A 50mm is really a 80mm) This is a great thing if your using tele lens but for wide angle shoots it will change a 10mm to a 16mm.

I have played with both the 5D and the 7D and there both great cameras but I am still leaning towards the 7D for 5 reasons
  1. I can use both EF and EF-S glass, But I do plan on getting EF only glass. Then again I have to start my lens collection all over again (Selling all my Sony lens now)
  2. Shooting 8 FPS (5D=3.4) will help in most of my work.
  3. 19 cross type AF points (5D=9) Much faster AF{auto focus}
  4. Speedlite Transmitter lets you controll other speedlights without anything to add on.
  5. I dont think going full frame is the best thing right now, I will but not for a few years.

The best thing is as long as I get (mostly) EF glass and not the EF-S then I can use it on all the canon bodies, So later when I do go full frame, I dont have to buy loads of new lens.

I want to have both in an ideal world, as both have there strengths and weaknesses. As any wedding photography will tell you, 2 bodies all the way! and having the best of both worlds is what really will make this a great thing. But I'm talking baby steps for now.

2 comments:

  1. Out of the 2, I would agree that the D7 is mostly the better camera, but I have recently heard that Nikon are going to be announcing two new FX bodies at the end of August (3 months earlier than I originally had thought). With that in mind, it was originally expected for Canon to announce the Canon 5Dmk3 around the same time (If their factory is up and running). Now there are several reasons for holding off buying either the 7D or the 5Dmk2 at the moment.

    1. Both the 5Dmk2 and 7D are old cameras. The difference between the 5Dmk2 and 7D tech wise is about a year and there is a big difference in tech between the two cameras, especially with the AF system. So I would expect at least a similar upgrade in tech when the 5Dmk3 is released if not greater as double the time has elapsed (2 years).

    2. Prices of the 7D and 5Dmk2 havn't probably gone down as much as they would have normally, this is due to Canon, not having all the facilities that they would ideally want to build cameras.

    3. I know you are thinking that the camera isn't as important as the glass and that by getting the 7D you can afford to get better glass, but getting the right camera in the first place I would say is just as important. It is the entire package size which is which makes creates a good image.

    4. This one is going to sound silly but is worth hearing out. Getting a newer system will make you feel better, the 5Dmk2 is a dinosaur in DSLR terms and if you bought it and then the 5Dmk3 came out a couple of months later and was much much better you would be kicking yourself. Slightly less so with the 7D, though you might be happy swinging through the trees, whilst the forest has started to be cut down by they pesky humans, who have created fire and comfy chairs (that analogy might not mean much but I thought it sounded good). When I bought my D300 I could have bought a much cheaper D200 which at the time was considered a very good camera, but the D300 blew it away in every way and I have always been extremely happy that I bought the D300 even with the higher cost.

    Clients like to see people use the best equipment. The amount of times I read must own 5Dmk2 when making videos, is ridiculous. The client doesn't know anything about the 5dmk2 but will ask for it when having a video made because it is what everyone else is using. As soon as the mk3 comes out all the mk2 owners will want to go and buy one (I have already touched on the price).

    Video ability. When the 5D was release Dslr video was in its infancy. 3 years on, Canon have a much better idea know of what people want and I am sure the mk3 will have much more advanced video features, better sound imput and a much better codec, allowing more compression of file (probably using B frame).

    If you are determined to go for either 5Dmk2 or 7D. The 5Dmk2 in many ways was very good ways but in others a bit of a dog, the 7D was pretty much the camera the 5Dmk2 should have been. It works much better, is more fully featured and much more practical. The only reason to go for the 5Dmk2 is because of the bigger sensor size.

    Or of course you could go with the Daddy of cameras and go for the Nikon sexy time special. You will feel more of a man (101% of tests have shown real men use Nikon).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats what I call a comment!....

    These 2 cameras are the ones that are out right now, the ones I can see touch and play with. I know how they work and what they have. Over the last 6months or so I have read every blog talking about the mark3 and the 7D2 but its all so up in the air I cant get my head around it. I still have a few more months ahead of my before I buy the new camera so there is time to change my mine and see what is going to come out.

    I know that times (and cameras) are changing and the full frame of the 5D does not seem as cool once I take in all the other things the 7D has over it. Plus the 7D is more suited to my style of shooting. I love the FPS and the flash syn, It gives you so much more control.

    I love the nikons for alot that they do and how the pics come out but it just does not feel right in my hands, maybe that is something I could get over but if im sheading out that much money I wanna make sure that I like the feel of it.

    We will see whats happening around September as that is when my money will get to the limit of the cheapest of the packet I have been looking at.

    ReplyDelete